Thursday, January 8, 2009

January Week 1

PLEASE NOTE: Where deemed necessary, some names have been blocked out for privacy reasons.

Thursday 1/1/09 - Home

Dear Diary,
Well another year has come and gone, and here we are in 2009. I like the start of a new year - looking ahead I can see a whole year with no mistakes in it; a year when, maybe, I can help the world become a better place. This year will be full of hard work, lots of fun, weddings, babies, quilts, scrapbooks, family, friends, driving, horses, dancing, and so much more! It really excites me that so much is happening.
Camp finished today. It was a very small camp, but possibly the best so far. I had so much fun, it was awesome! The classes were fantastic. The theme was spiritual disciplines, and I learned so much. I went on the best ride ever too! Even though my legs are a bit sore, it was well worth it!
I've decided to ask Nan if she knows the people who own the paddock down the road, and see if they need someone to exercise the horses down there. They never get out and it's so sad to just watch them standing there doing nothing.
Superhero night was fun :D I got all dolled up as the most awesome superwoman, Jean Grey of 'X-Men' fame - very cool. Dale Gray had the Wolverine thing going on. I think for most of last night we referred to each other as Logan & Jean rather than Dale & Laura. I still think the real Logan is sexier, but Dale did a pretty good job.
Hannah's sister Leah was there...She has a vendetta against rangas for some unknown reason...She is here for a whole month!...
Chapel party went OFF and Dorian taught me to salsa! It's so fun!

Oh well, must sleep. G'night!
Laurey xoxo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Friday 2/1/09 - Krauses

Dear Diary,
Just a quick note before bed. Wow! Haven't I filled up this little book so much in the 22 months (exactly!) that I have had you! We've been through 2 birthdays, 2 Christmases, shows, boys, cars, the whole lot. Here's to way more good times ahead!
So I FINALLY found 'The Drover's Ballad' on youtube tonight http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=1FScyt9Ub2Y, along with lyrics. (This is from the movie 'Australia', one of my favourites, released in November, starring Nicole Kidman and...Hugh Jackman.) Omigosh such a cry song. When I have access to complete lyrics again or I can remember them, I will pop them in here. It is a beautiful song written by Elton John specifically for this movie, relating to Hugh's cahracter, the Drover. Ah well, you will get it soon enough.
I have to go to sleep now, coz I'm working tomorrow. Goodnight, dear.
Laurey xoxo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WARNING: THIS JOURNAL ENTRY CONTAINS 'AUSTRALIA' SPOILERS

Saturday 3/1/09 - Home
Dear Diary,
Here they are as promised: the lyrics to 'The Drover's Ballad' by Sir Elton John. I'll comment at the end of it.

The Drover's Ballad - Sir Elton John
From the sunburnt plains of far-off north Australia
Came a fella born to ride the wide brown land.
Oh he grew up running wild,
But soon by all was styled
As the country's greatest ever droving man.
Oh his legend rode the winds from Broome to Darwin,
They loved and loathed him right from end to end.
When the Drover gave his heart
To a girl whose skin was dark,
From that day on he was no white man's friend.
So goes the Drover's story, You'll hear it near and far,
And in the end, it's all he'll ever own.
It says the outcast is a free man if he sleeps under the stars,
Makes the blanket of the southern skies his home.
Then they called him up to fight for Mother England
In a far-off war that spilled his brother's blood.
Inside the jaws of hell
Where both his brothers fell,
He just watched his faith in man die in the mud.
There was no hero's welcome for the Drover,
Just a country that had turned its back on him.
When he came home from the war
His sick wife they would not cure -
They let her die for the colour of her skin.
So goes the Drover's story, you'll hear it near and far,
And in the end it's all he'll ever own.
It says the outcast is a free man if he sleeps under the stars,
Makes the blanket of the southern skies his home.
The Drover is a man of constant shadows,
Haunted by his pain, his past and name.
For every mile he rides,
What he cannot hide
Is the longing in his heart to love again.
So goes the Drover's story, you'll hear it near and far,
And in the end it's all he'll ever own.
It says the outcast is a free man if he sleeps under the stars,
Makes the blanket of the southern skies his home.
Makes the blanket of the southern skies his home.
His home...
I think this is a beautiful song. It tells the story of the Drover, a white man who marries an Aboriginal woman and becomes an outcast because of his marriage. He then goes to war, leaving her behind. In his absence, she contract tuberculosis. When he returns, they seek medical help, but the hospitals refuse to treat her because of her ethnicity, and so she dies. He becomes a very troubled and private person, but the one thing that can crack his tough exterior is love.
I especially like the part that says 'The outcast is a free man if he sleeps under the stars, [and] makes the blanket of the southern skies his home.' I think what this means is that, regardless of what others think of you (outcast), you can be whatever you want to be (free man) if you are prepared to work for it (sleep under stars, make skies home). This is so true, not only of the Drover, but even in real life this is the case. If you are a loser, but you have a goal, and you reach that goal through hard work, you will have a lot more respect than a popular person whose dreams were met the minute they were thought of.
Well I am off to bed now. Goodnight.
Laurey xoxo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunday 4/1/09 - Home
Dear Diary,
Well I am playing counsellor again - aargh! This time it involves C***, S******, and long distance relationships. Seriously, can't they figure out their own problems? How can 17 & 18 year olds expect me to fix the world at 15? I just don't get it. I'm still trying to fix my world and recover from shattered dreams. I can't be picking up the pieces of everyone else's lives. They are perfectly capable of doing it themselves. I just think C is avoiding responsibility. I tell you, it absolutely drives me mental sometimes (like now - she's still texting me and it's 1am). Sorry for ranting, love, but I know you will always listen patiently. I try to be patient with her, I really do, but sometimes she just doesn't get it! AARGH!!!! Gosh how I hate it when she does this to me. If it wasn't 1am I would be freaking out to Mel, dear thing. I will be tomorrow, however, as I will to Mum. I try and tell C no, but she just doesn't get it. Like I don't already have enough on my plate.
Well I am exhausted now. Goodnight, dear.
Laurey xoxo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday 5/1/09 - Home
Dear Diary,
I am writing by the light of my phone haha! I added a new goal to my list last night - Journal every day. If I can succeed at this (or close to succeed) I think I would like to copy out this year's diary when I have daughters so that, when they turn sixteen, I can give a copy to them so that they understand I can relate to them, and so if, for example, they're having a bad day they can find where I was having a bad day too...By this point they would all have journals, as well...
It's so amazing that I don't even know my children yet, don't know when I will meet them or who with, but I love them so much already!
I am reading 'Marley and Me' by John Grogan at the moment - I am enjoying it so far. When I'm done either Mum & us girls or maybe even the whole family will go see it. I also want to read and watch 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I am also reading 'Emma' by Jane Austen - it's stressful but fun.
Well it's a quarter to midnight so I'll turn in. Goodnight
Laurey xoxo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tuesday 6/1/09 - Home
Dear Diary,
Well I am over halfway through 'Marley and Me'. It is a very good book - I think one day I shall buy my own copy. I have also found an e-text http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/Fitzgerald/jazz/benjamin/benjamin1.htm of 'Benjamin Button' so I will read the first page before I go to sleep.
I had an absolutely lovely morning with Mum today. I started making a table runner on Sunday - it is now fully pieced and the top has 8 applique hearts. Mum and I sat and watched Serendipity togetherthis morning and I applied two of the hearts, so now there are only three left! I think this is the fastest quilt top I have ever made! It's lovely - all different purple fabrics. Fingers crossed that I will finish the top tomorrow, and then I can start quilting yay!
I have finally put the piccies of my last two quilts on facebook, and one of these days I'll print them off and make a scrapbook of all my projects.
Well it is v. late, so I am off to read and sleep. I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Laurey xoxo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday 7/1/09 - Home
Dear Diary,
Well I managed to read all of 'Benjamin Button' last night - Fitzgerald published it in a short story collection so I read it in about half an hour. I have a strange feeling that the movie will be a rather differrent, Hollywoodised version, sadly. I hate it when Hollywood kills good books like that (like in 59 when Anne Frank was American - aargh!). Well I won't judge until I watch it.
And Hannah has finally set a date for the formal - Saturday March 28! YAY!!! This is so exciting! Well when I find out more info you will definitely know.
Hasta luega!
Laurey xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment